Academia.edu no longer supports Internet Explorer.
To browse Academia.edu and the wider internet faster and more securely, please take a few seconds to upgrade your browser .
Enter the email address you signed up with and we'll email you a reset link.
- We're Hiring!
- Help Center
Chevening Scholarship Essays
This sample is a guideline on how to apply for the Chevening Scholarship Essays.
Engr. Kafeel Farooqi
Detailed sample essays on the 4 topics required by Chevening. This sample is uploaded for the guidance of future aspirants.
Yu-Hsiu (Hugo) Lee (李育修)
The Free School
This document is an example of a motivation letter, also known as a motivation essay. Key words: personal letter, personal statement, motivation essay, motivation statement, scholarships, college applications.
During the course of your studies here at Southern Cross University you will be required to prepare many written assessments. These will take several forms including scientific reports, essays, literature reviews, laboratory reports and project proposals. All of these require specific skills in research, writing, and presentation, and you will generally be advised of the different requirements by the individual Unit Assessor. Despite this variety, there are some general principles which can be applied to nearly all forms of written work.
Muhammad Rifky Mubarok
For the candidates who intend to prepare for IELTS, here is a simplified discussion regarding the aspects of IELTS Essay writing.
A Comprehensive Guide to Fellowship Applications
This guide is written for those who are seeking fellowship opportunities at the University of Edinburgh as well as researchers at Edinburgh who are seeking out national and international opportunities. It is aimed at researchers new to fellowship applications and those who wish to refine their skills. It helps you to understand different types of fellowships, provides you with guiding questions for self-reflection to assist you in identifying what type of fellowship might be most suitable for you at your career stage, and guides you through the essentials of a compelling narrative for your application. In addition to practical top tips, the guide promotes the benefits of fellowship application writing (even if unsuccessful) and directs you to further resources.
The Chemical Educator
Advances in Space Research
IEEE Transactions on Education
Võ Hồng Ngọc
University of the Western Cape,[Online]
Mary Virginia Orna
Shobhana L Chelliah
Chemistry Education Research and Practice
International Journal for Research in Applied Sciences and Biotechnology
Muhammad Hattah Fattah
Cambridge Handbook of Undergraduate Research
Harald A Mieg
Dr Dare E Ajayi
- We're Hiring!
- Help Center
- Find new research papers in:
- Health Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- Cognitive Science
- Computer Science
- Academia ©2023
Sample of Personal Statement for Chevening Scholarship
In order to be eligible for a Chevening scholarship , you will need to submit a personal statement that tells us about your unique experience and why you are the best candidate for the program. This guide will show you how to write a personal statement for the Chevening scholarship that will help you stand out from the rest and potentially earn yourself a scholarship.
You should also apply for these Scholarships
- Scholarships in Switzerland | Fully Funded Study
- German Government Scholarships | Fully Funded
- Scholarship in Italy For International Students | (Fully Funded)
- Scholarships in Austria 2023 for International Students | Fully-Funded
- Denmark Scholarships 2023 For International Students
- University of Adelaide Australian Government Scholarships 2023
I am a recent graduate of a four-year university. I have participated in numerous extracurricular activities, including involvement with a student-run charity that helps underprivileged children. I also volunteer my time to teach young children how to read and write. In my free time, I enjoy reading, listening to music, and spending time with my family. I am confident that I have the qualities and experiences that will make me an excellent candidate for the Chevening Scholarship program.
As a student, I have always been an avid reader. It is through my love of reading that I have developed an interest in international affairs. I am confident that this interest will benefit me as I pursue a career in diplomacy.
My time spent at university has also given me the opportunity to develop strong leadership skills. As president of my student government, I was able to successfully lobby for funding and bring about change on campus. This experience has taught me how to work effectively with others and develop comprehensive plans. In addition, I have worked as a volunteer tutor for disadvantaged youth and as a member of Amnesty International USA’s board of directors. These experiences have shown me how to be fervently engaged in my community and how to contribute positively to society.
I am confident that my background in international affairs and my leadership skills will make me a valuable asset to any organization. If chosen for the Chevening Scholarship, I would devote myself completely to completing the program and contributing to British diplomacy.
I have had experience working in a variety of different environments both in the UK and abroad. I have worked as a barista, a customer service representative and most recently as a marketing manager. I have gained experience in working with a diverse range of clients and I have developed strong interpersonal skills. This has given me an insight into how businesses work and has equipped me with the knowledge to carry out effective marketing programs.
Activities and Hobbies
When I’m not studying or working, I enjoy spending time outdoors hiking, biking, and camping. I also enjoy playing the violin and reading. In my spare time, I like to cook and experiment with new recipes.
In my community service experience, I have worked with a wide variety of organizations and communities. I have always been motivated to give back to my community, and this has been furthered by my experiences in community service.
I have found that working with different organizations gives me a better understanding of the needs of my community and the ways in which I can help meet those needs. My most recent experience was working with a homeless shelter. During my time there, I learned about the challenges facing homeless individuals and how I could help make a difference.
I am confident that my experiences in community service will help me to be successful as a scholar at the Chevening Scholarship Program. In addition, my skills in communication, problem-solving, and leadership would be valuable assets in any organization or community.
In order to be competitive for a Chevening Scholarship, it is essential to have a strong personal statement. This document should demonstrate your writing skills, your dedication to international affairs, and your passion for global travel. Here is an example of a personal statement for a Chevening Scholarship:
I am extremely passionate about international affairs and the opportunities that travel provides for understanding different cultures. I have traveled extensively throughout Africa and Asia, and I hope to continue exploring new parts of the world through scholarship programs like the Chevening Scholarship. I am confident that my experiences and interests will contribute invaluably to my academic achievements and future career aspirations. Thank you for considering me for this award!
Sample Personal Statement for a Fulbright Scholarship
I am extremely excited to be applying for the Fulbright Scholarship. I have been involved in international volunteer work since high school and have always been interested in learning more about other cultures. I believe that this program will allow me to gain invaluable experience and knowledge in different parts of the world. I am confident that my skills and experiences will benefit both my academic career and future travel plans. Thank you for considering me for this award!
For More Scholarship Opportunities Follow our Facebook Page, Twitter , and Telegram
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on X (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Facebook facebook
- Twitter twitter
- Linkedin linkedin
- Whatsapp whatsapp
- Facebook facebook (opens in a new window)
- Twitter twitter (opens in a new window)
- Linkedin linkedin (opens in a new window)
- Whatsapp whatsapp (opens in a new window)
To help you when applying for Chevening, we’ve collated some of our independent reading committees best feedback and advice.
Firstly, we’d like to say a huge thank you to everyone who took the decision to apply to Chevening last year. Although you may not have got the result you were looking for this time, it’s great to see so many of you considering how a UK education could help you to make a positive and lasting impact in your home countries.
We hope you’ll consider applying again this year, so to help, we’re sharing some of our independent reading committees top tips.
Top 8 general tips:
- Check your grammar and make sure your sentences make sense. Double-check the spelling of words and institution names.
- Use relevant examples from your own experience to address the essay questions. Stating that you have the required skills is not enough. We need to hear examples of how you’ve used your skills to achieve something positive.
- Where possible, try to focus your examples on your experiences with voluntary organisations or employment, rather than at school or university.
- Use ‘I’ instead of ‘we’ when discussing personal achievements.
- Don’t use bullet points to outline job responsibilities or future plans in your answers. We want to know as much about your goals as possible, so write in full sentences and share your stories with us!
- Assessors know when answers are copied and pasted from a CV, personal statement or reference letter. Make sure you tailor your answers to the question.
- For your application to be deemed outstanding, make sure you clearly link your chosen course of study to your previous experiences and future vision.
All Chevening Applicants need to demonstrate leadership, influencing, and relationship-building skills. You’ll also need to have a clear understanding of how studying with a UK university will help you achieve your career goals.
Below, we share the reading committees best advice for doing just that!
When showcasing your leadership and influencing skills:
- Share an example of how you’ve worked either alone or with others to achieve something positive. Just make sure your individual contribution is clear.
- Focusing on sharing one or two detailed examples is much more impactful than listing lots of examples. Emphasise how you have shaped the opinions and actions of people around you.
- Please avoid using quotes and definitions of leadership. Instead focus your answer on your own personal experiences of leadership.
When showcasing your relationship-building skills :
- Try to share examples of building new relationships during volunteering or employment, rather than at school or university. Tell us how you built these networks, how you maintain them, and how you have used them to help you achieve something.
- Give real thought to how you intend to use the Chevening network, or other networks, to achieve your future career goals.
- Share your thoughts on how you and your work will contribute to the Chevening Alumni network.
When sharing why you want to study in the UK:
- Share why you chose your courses. What do you hope to get out of studying on those particular courses? How would they benefit your career and development? Referring to professors you’d particularly like to meet, publications you’re keen to read, the reputation of the course, or the specific modules you’d like to study are all great ways to show you’ve done your research.
- Try to be as authentic as possible. Please don’t copy sentences from university or tourism websites. Share your thoughts about the benefits of studying with a UK university in your own words.
- Emphasise how studying on your chosen courses would help you achieve your goals and benefit your home country upon return.
When sharing your career plans:
- Give real thought to how you intend to make the most of the opportunity to study a master’s degree with a UK university. Share detailed examples of your short, mid, and long-term career goals. You’ll get extra points if you can link your career goals with any of the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
- Make sure your goals are ambitious but realistic. Walk the assessors through a clearly defined plan for achieving them.
- Outstanding applicants demonstrate real enthusiasm about making a lasting, positive contribution to their home countries and have clear ideas about how to achieve it. Steer away from describing motivations to pursue a master’s degree only as a steppingstone to studying for a PhD.
We hope you’ve found this useful and aren’t too disheartened if you didn’t get the result you wanted first time around. We often learn more when things don’t go to plan than when they do, so we hope you’ll apply again this year with more knowledge and understanding about what you could gain from a fully funded Chevening Scholarship. Good luck!
Where did I go wrong? Reading Committee feedback for applicants
As Chevening Scholarship results are announced, you may find that you have not received the news you were hoping for, and in this case will no doubt wonder where you might have gone wrong in your application – after all, you’ll want to review your application ahead of reapplying with even stronger essays when applications […]
Career advice I wish I could give my younger self
Developing an advanced skill set and building meaningful professional relationships: the two pillars of professional success. We speak with medical doctor, global health specialist and 2017 Chevening Alum, Dr Frederick Mate.
How to build meaningful professional relationships
That building and nurturing relationships is a vital skill for effective leadership is no secret. So how do you build meaningful relationships?
Am I cool enough? Chevening personal statement (motivation)
Nastasi 3 / 9 Nov 10, 2014 #1 Hello everyone! There 4 qeustions of personal statement type in the application form for Chevening scholarship. By the way it's really cool one. The deadline is in few days - 15.11. So I'd be greatful if someone could say your opnion on everything written above. Few things to mention: Education is not a recomended field of study for Ukraine and the stakes are really high. So be sceptical but better if you don't propose me to change everythinh Q.2 Your academic background:Describe your educational achievements to date. You should explain why you feel confident in your ability to successfully complete your proposed courses of study in the UK, and specify why your courses were chosen. Studying in the Pedagogical college I was very interested in Social Sciences like Psychology, Pedagogy and Economics. In particular I was captivated by the ideas of freedom in the theories of M. Montessory and A. Neil. I have conducted a research about Montessori's materials for primary school children. Concerning Economics, a business plan I made in the end of the course was recognised as one of the best in the class. [...] Q.4 Your career plan and benefit to your home country: Describe your immediate plans upon completion of your Chevening award. You should explain your longer-term (5-10 year) career objectives and describe how your time in the UK will help you achieve these. You should also discuss how a Chevening award would benefit you and your home country. Depending on what I will study education or marketing, my project number one to develop will be either In Lime club or creating the school. I have a clear vision on developing In Lime. First of all I want to make it a recognised brand in my city and to find a place for a long term renting. Secondly, I will find people to conduct meetings in other languages. And thirdly, I will make it a national franchise "In Lime - Language & Hang out Clubs". This is what I will do in the nearest 3-4 years. [...]
Home — Essay Samples — Education — Scholarship — My Motivation To Attend The Chevening Scholarship
My Motivation to Attend The Chevening Scholarship
- Categories: Personal Goals Scholarship
About this sample
Words: 401 |
Published: Jun 10, 2020
Words: 401 | Page: 1 | 3 min read
Cite this Essay
Let us write you an essay from scratch
- 450+ experts on 30 subjects ready to help
- Custom essay delivered in as few as 3 hours
Get high-quality help
- Expert in: Life Education
+ 120 experts online
No need to pay just yet!
4 pages / 1605 words
1 pages / 351 words
1 pages / 355 words
2 pages / 993 words
Remember! This is just a sample.
You can get your custom paper by one of our expert writers.
121 writers online
Still can’t find what you need?
Browse our vast selection of original essay samples, each expertly formatted and styled
Related Essays on Scholarship
I am applying for the master’s programme and the VUFP Scholarship at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam to advance my career path and to develop skills that others need. My goal in life is to be useful to others, for me that is [...]
Wake Forest University's Presidential Scholarship is a prestigious award that recognizes and rewards academic excellence and leadership potential. In this essay, we will analyze the significance of the Presidential Scholarship, [...]
Dear Sir/Madam, I am very glad to apply for Master in Electrical Engineering for Hungarian Scholarship. I have completed my undergraduate studies in Electrical Engineering from University of Engineering & Technology, [...]
For as long as I could remember, I have wanted to be a participant in the Global UGRAD Program which enables students to study abroad. I have been curious about studying abroad, especially in the USA ever since my English [...]
Induction into the National Honor Society validates academic goals that I have worked extremely hard towards thus far. Membership would not only help maintain my academic performance, but assist me in accomplishing further goals [...]
For many Indian students aspiring for high quality education in the field they choose, study abroad scholarships prove great. Scholarships make education affordable and enable you to access the best universities in the world. [...]
By clicking “Send”, you agree to our Terms of service and Privacy statement . We will occasionally send you account related emails.
Where do you want us to send this sample?
Be careful. This essay is not unique
This essay was donated by a student and is likely to have been used and submitted before
Download this Sample
Free samples may contain mistakes and not unique parts
Sorry, we could not paraphrase this essay. Our professional writers can rewrite it and get you a unique paper.
Please check your inbox.
We can write you a custom essay that will follow your exact instructions and meet the deadlines. Let's fix your grades together!
Get Your Personalized Essay in 3 Hours or Less!
- Instructions Followed To The Letter
- Deadlines Met At Every Stage
- Unique And Plagiarism Free