20 Article Summary Templates
Writing a full-length article can be difficult at times, so you may think that writing article summary templates will be a walk in the park. But, sadly, the task can still be tiresome. If you do not have the necessary tools and know-how, article executive summary writing can be as daunting as writing a full article.
What are article summary templates?
Distance learning article summary template.
Science News Article Summary Template
Free APA Article Summary Template
Printable Academic Article Summary Template
Free Article Summary Template
Newspaper Article Summary Template
Research Article Summary Template
College Article Summary Template
Journal Article Summary Template
Magazine Article Summary Template
Different types of article summary templates and how to write them
Academic article summary template.
Blank Article Summary Template
Nursing Literature Article Summary Review
Why should you use article summary templates?
- To make the article summary creation process easier. When you have a guide to help you do things, the task will undoubtedly become easier to accomplish. This same principle can be applied to the use of article summary templates word . These templates will often include simple instructions on how to write and format article summaries. And, depending on the type of article you are working on, these templates will serve as a sample framework for how your summary of the article will be written. They may contain talking points, questions to be answered, and helpful hints that will guide you in making the article summary writing much easier.
- To save time. A certain level of background knowledge and understanding are also needed for a person to properly internalize an article. This process may be hastened when a writer has a topic guide or hint and will be able to locate this information in the source article readily. Using an article summary template to write an article summary will help decrease the total time that a person will probably spend on writing articles (especially articles about research proposals and scientific treatises). This is because they will have guidepost questions to follow or answer. And, even if some articles can take a lot of time to read, the writer will already know how to answer and write about them with the use of a guide.
- To save money. The use of article summary templates is another money-saving strategy plan template for students and professionals because the tools pay for themselves in the long run. To illustrate, when a student writes a summary of a scientific research article from a science journal, he or she can retrieve this summary as a reference for future tests or for his or her thesis proposal layout . The student then saves money by no longer needing to take that bus or train ride to the local library during test time or by having to buy the entire journal again in case the student needs that article. This may be an indirect effect, but for those who are strapped for money, using article summary templates can be a practical choice.
- To standardize article summary content. In order to standardize their grading and review process, some academic institutions and large organizations may also ask students to follow an article summary template created by a faculty member. This action promotes fairness and uniformity and the approach is preferred over having grade disputes. It is also easier for professors to grade papers that follow the same summary business plan template since they will know what to look for or watch out for in student submissions.
- To make the article review process easier. Aside from making sure that the article summary creation process itself gets easier, the use of article summary templates also helps make the literature review process easier. In cases where articles are submitted for review prior to publication, editors may prefer to read an article summary templates google docs instead of reading the whole thing, making the review process quicker. This approach is followed by journal publications and even English composition teachers who want to make use of their time well.
- To make a good reference guide. Article summary templates also help individuals create better reference guides. These guides may be used for non-fiction articles or books, scientific journal articles, research case studies, and even study notes. By following a summary template when you create an article summary, you will have a compendium of all the materials that you need to create or prepare for a specific task. You do not have to lug around and frequently refer back to the source article for reference since you will already have a handy and concise reference guide.
Review Guide and Article Summary Template
How to format your article summary templates
- Use your own logo design or your organization’s letterhead design. Putting a school or company logo design as part of your summary template’s custom letterhead helps give a sense of identity to the template form. Typically, templates and simple forms that will have an identifying mark like this are taken more seriously by students and staff.
- Combine different layout types. There are different ways to layout an article summary template. They will all depend on the kind of information that you wish for the article summary writer to extract from the article he or she has read. For instance, a professor for an introductory creative writing class may create a summary template that will ask students to fill out the blanks on the template. This layout serves as a type of writing prompt for the students. On the other hand, a summary template that just includes an outline of the necessary topics or questions to be answered on the article summary may force students to think on their feet and provide paragraphs of answers instead. Choose the summary template layout carefully to suit the learning level of the ones who will use the template. You may also see summary report templates.
- Include detailed instructions and examples. Another tip when formatting an article summary template is to provide a clear and detailed set of instructions. For example, provide title or header outline sample for students to follow instead of providing blocks of text as instructions. The instructions also need to be written at the top of the first page of the summary template. This way, anyone reading the template will notice it right away.
- Add your own watermark or citation information if you want. If you or your organization wants to be credited with creating the article summary template, you can best do this by adding your own watermark design. You may also include the correct way to cite your template form layout for an article. Doing this will help save time. For more tips on how to do this, check out this article on ways to write a bibliography .
Sample Article Summary Template
Science Article Summary Template
Template for Article Summary
Are you ready to write your article summary?
More in business.
APA Article Summary Template
Transport and Logistics Insurance Coverage Summary Template
Transport and Logistics A/B Testing Results Summary Template
Biography Newspaper Article Template
School Debt Management Policy Template
School Cash Management Policy Template
Construction Articles of Incorporation Template
Neutral Classroom Hundred Chart
Get Instant Access to Free & Premium Article Summary Templates , AI Tools & Daily Fresh Content
Get access to 1 million+ FREE, PRO, template bundles with professional written original content. Advanced AI, design, document editing tools
How to write a summary of a research paper (with template)
by Diana Ribeiro Last updated Jul 20, 2020 | Published on Jun 27, 2020 Writing Skills 0 comments
In our daily work as medical writers, we have to read many scholarly articles and extract the main information from them. Having a process to retrieve that information and create a short summary that you can easily access will save you precious time. That’s why I decided to guide you through my process of summarising a research article and created a handy template.
Having short summaries of academic papers is useful to create news articles, press releases, social media posts, blog articles, or curated news reports, like the one I write weekly for my newsletter subscribers .
What’s the importance of summarising research articles?
If you don’t have a system to extract the main information from a scholarly paper, you may have to re-read it repeatedly, looking for that piece of information you know it’s there. Sure, you can use a highlighter pen to mark the main points, but sometimes what happens is that you end up with yellow walls of text. Or green. Or even a rainbow. Which may be pretty, but it’s quite useless as a retrieval system.
What also happens when you highlight text is that you end up with a diverse array of writing styles, none of them being your own. This way, when you try to write a text with information from multiple sources, you have to search for the information and write it in a consistent style.
In this article, I’ll show you how to retrieve the most relevant information from a scientific paper, how to write it in a compelling way, and how to present it in a news-worthy style that’s easily adaptable to your audience. Ready?
Three steps to summarise a research paper
1. scan and extract the main points.
First things first, so you have to read the paper. But that doesn’t mean you have to read it from start to finish. Start by scanning the article for its main points.
Here’s the essential information to extract from the research paper you have in front of you:
- Authors, year, doi
- Study question: look in the introduction for a phrase like “the aim of this study was”
- Hypothesis tested
- Study methods: design, participants, materials, procedure, what was manipulated (independent variables), what was measured (dependent variables), how data were analysed.
- Findings: from the results section; fill this before you look at the discussion section, if possible. Write bullet points.
- Interpretation: how did the authors interpreted their findings? Use short sentences, in your own words.
After extracting the key information , revisit the article and read it more attentively, to see if you missed something. Add some notes to your summary, but take care to avoid plagiarism. Write notes in your own words. If you can’t do that at this moment, use quotation marks to indicate that your note came straight from the study. You can rewrite it later, when you have a better grasp of the study.
2. Use a journalistic approach for the first draft
Some sources advise you to keep the same structure as the scientific article, but I like to use the journalistic approach of news articles and flush out the more relevant information first, followed by the details. This is more enticing for readers, making them want to continue reading. Yes, I know that your reader may be just you, but I know I have lost myself in some of the things I’ve written, so…keep it interesting, even for a future self 😊.
This is the main information you have to put together:
Title of the article: I like to keep the original article title for the summary, because it’s easier to refer back to the original article if I need to. Sometimes I add a second title, just for me, if the article title is too obscure or long.
- 1 st paragraph: Answer the 5 W’s in 3-4 sentences.
Who? (the authors)
What? (main finding)
When and where? (journal, date of publication)
This should be a standalone paragraph, meaning that the reader should be able to take out the main information even if they just read this paragraph.
- Subsequent paragraphs: In 2-3 paragraphs or less, provide context and more information about the research done. If you’re not sure if a detail is important or not, you can include it here and edit it out in the next step.
3. Polish the rough edges
In this stage, you’re going to make a quick edit, checking for completeness and accuracy. Make sure you’ve included all the main points without repeating yourself. Double-check all the numbers. Stay focused on the research questions to avoid tangents. Avoid using jargon and the passive voice whenever possible.
Using this approach, you’ll end up with a short summary of your article that you can use to craft other types of writing, such as press releases, news articles, social media blurbs, and many others.
The advantages of summarising research articles are that you can better understand what the article is about, and you’ll have a text written by you, so it’s easier to adapt and you avoid unintentional plagiarism.
That’s it! My guide to write a research paper summary 😊
I’ve created a handout with all the information in this blog post plus a fill-in-the-blanks template that you can use to summarise research articles, you can download it using the form below. You’ll be signed up to my mailing list, and receive a weekly roundup of news in the biomedical industry as a bonus!
If you have any comments or questions, please let me know in the comment box below.
Get the research paper summary template
And subscribe to the biopharma newsletter 🙂
Check your confirmation email for the template.
Other posts you might like:
About Diana Ribeiro
Diana Ribeiro is a pharmacist and freelance medical writer based in Cascais, Portugal. Before starting her career in medical writing, Diana worked 10+ years in hospital and community pharmacies, where she helped patients and healthcare professionals with drug management and information. Nowadays, she helps pharma, biotech, and meddev companies communicate with their audiences in a clear, accurate, and compelling way. Diana is an active member of the European Medical Writers Association, where she volunteers for the webinar team. You can find more about her on LinkedIn .
Submit a Comment Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Pin it on pinterest.
Article Summary Template
Summarize long or complex articles for reports and executive summaries with this nifty article summary template from venngage..
- Design Style : modern
- Colors : light
- Size : Letter
- Plan : free
An article summary is a brief overview of a text that contains all the primary points and important supporting details of the original article. It provides readers the condensed content of the original text while retaining the author’s main points. An article summary template can be a helpful way to organize your thoughts and research when writing an article. It allows you to quickly see the primary ideas of your piece at a glance and also provides a structure for you to follow as you write. It is also an excellent tool for students and researchers who need to shorten information from a full-length article into a smaller, more manageable format. The template can be used to create an executive summary, a research summary, and the like. It includes sections for the title, author, date, main points, supporting details, related examples, and conclusion. It also has a space for notes and a bibliography. In crafting your article summary, you don’t have to reinvent the wheel. You can find templates to help you do just that on the Internet. If you’re looking for
Read more >
Summary Templates: How To Write & Examples
Frequently Asked Questions
Family Mission Statement Templates: How To Write & Examples
Condolence Email Templates: How To Write & Examples
Confirmation Email Templates: How To Write & Examples
Summary For Linkedin Templates: How To Write & Examples
Event Invitation Email Templates: How To Write & Examples
Scholarship Reference Letter Templates: How To Write & Examples
Personal Mission Statement Templates: How To Write & Examples
Short Bio Templates: How To Write & Examples
Linkedin Bio Templates: How To Write & Examples
Character Bio Templates: How To Write & Examples
How it works.
Ready to level-up?
Write 10x faster, engage your audience, & never struggle with the blank page again.
- Business Templates
FREE 7+ Article Summary Templates in PDF
The sample article summary is the gist of the article being submitted by students, executives, professors, committees, etc. this can be related to projects, academic, thesis, marketing, etc. The quality of the Article Review Templates summary invariably will be judged by its quality, presentation, relevance, etc. the article summary is usually preceded by copyright.
Sample Article Summary Template
Article summary sample - 6+ documents in pdf, book summary template - 6+ samples, examples & format, sample executive summary resume - 8+ examples in word, pdf.
The format is usually given by the instructor to the concerned to write correctly the article summary The sample article summary template can be downloaded in either Word or PDF format from the net.
Summary of an Article Template
Article Summary Template
Critical Analysis Article Summary Template
Journal Article Summary Template
Research Article Summary Template
Template for Research Article Summary
Example of a Article Summary Template
If you have any DMCA issues on this post, please contact us !
Free 7+ wedding speech in pdf, free 11+ sample statement of account in pdf, free 20+ lined paper templates in pdf | ms word, free 10+ sample raffle sheet templates in pdf | ms word | excel | pages, free 13+ sample job sheet templates in pdf | ms word, free 14+ sample internship report templates in google docs | ms word | apple pages, free 5+ sample graduation speech in pdf, free 11+ travel budget templates in google docs | google sheets | excel | ms word | numbers | pages | pdf, free 8+ sample employee profile templates in ms word | pdf, free 10+ rental ledger templates in pdf, free 9+ blank bingo samples in pdf | ms word, free 9+ sample movie reviews in ms word | pdf, free 8+ sample celsius to fahrenheit chart templates in pdf, free 26+ project report templates in ms words | apple pages, free 35+ printable obituary samples in pdf | ms word, sample executive memo - 6+ documents in pdf, word, sample business case - 6+ documents in pdf, word, evaluation essay example - 7+ samples in word, pdf, examples of invitation letters.
Be the boss of your literature review
Download this free article summary table template.
When dealing with the literature, summarise the articles you read as you go along. This will ensure that you don't read and forget. Using the Article Summary Table template, you can neatly add a summary of each study to a table. This table is handy because you can easily refer to a specific article without searching through piles of pdfs.
Get the Article Summary Table template in Microsoft Word AND Microsoft Excel - for FREE
free article summary template
Resource types, all resource types, free article summary template.
- Rating Count
- Price (Ascending)
- Price (Descending)
- Most Recent
Science News Article Summary Template
- Word Document File
Summary /Summarizing-Collaborative, Group Activity with Sticky Notes
Article of the Week Template
Blank Lined Summary Pages
How to Write a Summary 3rd-8th Grades
Current Event Template
One Pager Templates
Ancient Egypt Brainpop Video Template Summary
Summary Cut and Fold Templates
Current Events Template | Printable and Digital
The History of Saint Patrick's Day
Meet the Super Croc Reading Trifold
March: Book Two Common Core Unit
An American Hero-Sequoyah
Informational Text Analysis Chart (Informational Text Graphic Organizer)
Vampires and Dracula Reading Comprehension Activity Pack for Middle and High
- Easel Assessment
Magic Tree House #8 Midnight on the Moon Novel Study, Project Menu
- Easel Activity
Current Events Assignment, Read/Write about News, Summarizing , Making Connection
News Cast Assignment
- We're hiring
- Help & FAQ
- Student privacy
- Terms of service